Our furry little friends deserve the best type of care. As you know, dogs are susceptible to a number of infections.
Yeast infections are caused by a normal component of your dog’s skin called Malassezia, which only becomes infectious under certain conditions. Some of the factors that cause Malassezia to overgrow into the pathogen that causes the infections include:
- Dogs with skin folds are more likely to get yeast infections; the reason being the excessive skin folds are suitable breeding grounds for fungal growth.
- Hot and humid climate. It thrives in these conditions and dogs in this climate are more likely to get a yeast infection.
- Foods that are high in sugar content accelerate the growth of the pathogens causing fungal infections.
Unfortunately, some fungal infections are much worse than yeast infections. Infections such as Candidiasis causes skin lesions, weakness and diarrhea, valley fever causes major respiratory problems and cryptococcosis might require surgery in severe cases.
The good news is that getting the right antifungal shampoo for your dog can take care of all these nasty infections if caught early enough. You should consult your vet to validate your choice of shampoo. However, some popular shampoos are known to clear fungal infections in dogs. You should opt for these or something similar:
- Vet Solutions Universal medicated shampoo, which is very potent and effectively kills harmful bacteria and fungus on your dog’s skin. It is also very mild so your dog will not be harmed.
- SynergyLabs’ shampoos are known to be one of the best. Other than fighting off fungal infections, they are also great in preventing skin rashes and greasy hair on your dog.
- Bayer Maseleb Pet Shampoo is also a great choice for your pet. It is fragrance-free and has proved very effective against fungal infections.
Nootie makes an antifungal dog shampoo that works– they also offer pet grooming products, both medicated and oatmeal shampoos- which reviewers on Amazon rave about their effectiveness for fungal infections and other bacterial infections as well.
There a few things you should take care to observe:
- Never use human shampoo on your dog.
- Alcohol-based shampoos are not good for your pets since they are known to cause skin cancer.
- Always ensure that your dog is not allergic to any of the components in the shampoo before you purchase it.
- Buy organic or natural shampoos as they tend to be the safest.
- Make sure your dog does not ingest the shampoo. It might be harmful.
If you love your pets, you will want the best for them so do not be afraid to splurge a little on shampoo that will work effectively in keeping your dog healthy.